Friday, April 6, 2012

Paris


By Kristen Wharton

Where to begin with Paris? Paris leaves you breathless.

It has captivated the young and the old, been the catalyst for countless creative endeavors, and inspired dreams by the thousands. The allure of this city is truly undeniable.

A view of the Eiffel Tower

There was one day in particular that I set out to spend the whole day meandering around the city. I had hit all the main attractions at this point and just wanted to wander. With school and other time sensitive events, the busyness of my schedule did not allow for unrestricted frolicking, as I’ve since coined it. My day began near Notre Dame and consisted of dipping down side streets, dropping into secondhand bookstores (there are a plethora here and they are one of my favorite things about Paris…in fact they are another reason for my lack of comprehensive exploration…I drop in these and stay for hours), but mostly today revolved around observing and trying to become more familiar with the city’s layout since I have relied so much on the metro.

Walking along the Seine is a spectacle in itself. This river is Paris’ life source. You can get to any main juncture from its banks while being provided with a scenic route along the way.  It is overwhelming! Walking along the river, Notre Dame and the spire of Sainte Chapelle behind me, the Invalides coming in on the left, and just a bit further I have Pont Alexandre to my right. The Eiffel Tower, towering over it all in the distance.  Ok Paris, let’s be real, this is a constant visual stimulation is almost cruel. -- buildings and monuments, each representing a crucial time period in history of the city, all coming together in unity along the Seine. It is a feast you can never digest in entirety.


You leave these cities yearning for more. Knowing you’ve barely scratched the surface. 


The Seine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Valencia’s Inner Fire

Fallas:   A   week   filled   with   churros,   fire   and   pure   excitement.  S omething I am going to try my hardest to ex...