Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Sports in Panama

By Quinton Campbell

When I arrived in Panama, I arrived with the general assumption that soccer was the national sport. That all changed once I saw the variety of options for activity that the residents of the surrounding community took part in within the City of Knowledge! 

Within a matter of minutes, I could walk from the student housing to not only soccer fields, but baseball fields, tennis courts, and a basketball court as well. In addition to the soccer and basketball teams that were created by students at FSU–Panama, there were constantly pick-up games being played by locals on both the soccer fields and basketball courts. This provided not only an opportunity to take a break from my studies, but it was also a great way to get involved and get to know international students my age, an opportunity that I truly value to this day.  

One event I particularly enjoyed was during my spring semester when the softball portion of that year’s Central American Games was held on the City of Knowledge’s athletic fields. Not only did I have the opportunity to watch national teams from countries such as Nicaragua, Belize, Panama, and Costa Rica play softball, but thanks to the athletic facilities located at the City of Knowledge, the three days of these competitions were held in my “backyard.”

Softball Game Between El Salavador & Belize

Changing Innings 

Seeing these events such a short distance from my house wasn’t only convenient but truly helped me feel integrated into the community as I sat and watched among other residents from the neighborhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Valencia’s Inner Fire

Fallas:   A   week   filled   with   churros,   fire   and   pure   excitement.  S omething I am going to try my hardest to ex...