Monday, April 9, 2012

My Everything-But-Typical Day

By Leen Doumet

As cliché as this might sound, I can’t really say I have a typical day here in Valencia. Every day here is so atypical to what I’m used to that it’s hard to generalize all my days into one. But, here’s a typical Tuesday!

On Tuesdays I have my Spanish grammar and composition class at 9am. After class, a group of friends and I partake in our Tuesday/ Thursday breakfast tradition where we go to Serranos restaurant, which is literally a 25 second walk from the study center. At breakfast, we chat and simply enjoy each other’s company for over an hour. If we have a test that day, we study and quiz each other. After breakfast I go to my second class, which is Spanish reading and conversation. At 4:00, I volunteer at the school near the study center and assist fourth graders in learning English. After volunteering, I come back to the study center to study or relax. Later in the evening, I either make dinner or go out to dinner. By the time we come back, which is often times around 11 it is time to wind down and prepare for the next day!

I say my days here in Valencia are far from typical because often times, instead of being in the classroom for my class, I find myself all over Valencia. With my classes I have taken excursions to places like Sagunto, a town that was formerly a Moorish fortress, La Lonja, a beautiful building originally used for silk trading, and the Bellas Artes Museum in Valencia. I have even made Valencian paella for a paella competition in my Food and Society class.


Walking through the Ruins of Sagunto
Finished Paella for Class!


From walking through the ruins of old castles to admiring the architecture in various plazas around the city, I have been extremely lucky to have everything but typical days for the past four months.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Valencia’s Inner Fire

Fallas:   A   week   filled   with   churros,   fire   and   pure   excitement.  S omething I am going to try my hardest to ex...