Friday, April 6, 2012

Freetime in France

By Allyce Smith


There is no uniform opinion about studying abroad. Granted, if one chooses to study in a foreign country then it is likely you have a strong desire to travel and experience new cultures. However, each experience is unique and it is up to you to make the absolute most of it. Sure, one could simply attend class and all the fabulous excursions FSU has planned, but on the weekend and afternoons you have the freedom to design your ideal study abroad experience. The opportunities offered to you are vastly different from studying within your home country. The sense of independence which accompanies each decision you make is liberating and at times daunting, but the type of experience you have is entirely up to the individual. Because France, and Paris alone, is so vast it can be overwhelming to decide which places you wish to visit. Trust me, one month flies by in the blink of an eye.  I therefore urge students to start thinking about weekend trips and personal excursions before arriving in Paris. Look online and familiarize yourself with the train schedules and nearby locations. Because you only have one month, you will be tempted to hit the ground running upon arrival. 


A walking path through Monet's garden


Detail of some of the buildings


I personally knew before arriving in France that I wanted to visit Normandy. Paris is lovely, Paris is huge and Paris is busy, it is because of these things I wanted to have a weekend trip outside of the city, to see another side of France.  I therefore chose to explore the town of Giverny. Besides having a lovely name which can make you feel French simply by saying it, the town is only about an hour train ride from the Gare du Nord train station and loads of fun! I was able to experience a more traditional village atmosphere (think Belle's hometown in Beauty in the Beast!), with horses, fields of flowers and adorable old houses complete with rose gardens. The experience was surreal and well worth the 12.80 Euros. People could rent bikes, ride down dirt roads and eat traditional Norman cuisine. Probably the most popular site was Monet's house which included his famous water lilies. Although there were tourists, they did not overrun the town, for the most part it was quiet, calm and breathtaking.

We ran into some friendly horses while walking back to the train station!

Because I took the initiative to branch outside of the traditional curriculum (with my trusty friend Kat of course) I was able to personalize the study abroad experience to my taste. Of course, even if I had chosen to only participate in FSU excursions and class I would have still had a fantastic time, but by using my free time to explore places which were near to my heart and interests, I feel that my study abroad experience truly reflected me as a person.  It is difficult to understand just how much a study abroad experience can change you as a person but it honestly does.  So take advantage of your trip and use your free time wisely, this is an experience which you will cherish forever and hopefully change your world perspective! Studying abroad influenced my decision to pursue a graduate degree in French history and cultivated my love for the French language. This is your study abroad experience, use your free time to make it unique. 

Me and one of the numerous flower fields in Giverny



No comments:

Post a Comment

Valencia’s Inner Fire

Fallas:   A   week   filled   with   churros,   fire   and   pure   excitement.  S omething I am going to try my hardest to ex...