Friday, April 6, 2012

Financing Your Time Abroad

By Kristen Wharton

If any of you are like me, finding a justification to studying abroad is an overwhelming task. First there is the cost. Yeah…parting with 10 grand to spend a fabulous 15 weeks abroad is not an easy thing to maneuver. I don’t know anyone who is sitting on that kind of monetary cushion, so the next step is –find investors. If you are shocked to find that checks do not magically appear at your doorstep after this plea to potential financiers, it’s time to look at loans. Now this is the point where most people just nip this little dream in the bud and say, “I’ll just have to wait until after college to travel when I actually have disposal income.”

You won’t. Life happens. Careers happen. Families happen. And the opportunity to make a strictly selfish decision falls by the wayside.

I would have never known these things had I not deliberated for months in a cost-benefit analysis format about the pros and cons of ditching Tallahassee and subsequently the life and network of friends I had built up here and taking the plunge, by saying “money is resurgent (or maybe just plain worthless in this economy) so lets make this happen”. Since it is really not that simple though, International Programs is more than happy to sit down with you and discuss scholarship eligibility and loan options. 

What I also learned is that most faculty members and employers alike recognize studying abroad as an important contributor in career development, so are thrilled to discuss options for getting to your country of interest. The resources are endless if you seek them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Valencia’s Inner Fire

Fallas:   A   week   filled   with   churros,   fire   and   pure   excitement.  S omething I am going to try my hardest to ex...