Tuesday, August 30, 2016

What I Learned from Studying Abroad

I’ll be the first to say that some of the best things I’ve learned in life so far weren’t even learned in the classroom. Thanks, Spain
 
1. It’s not all about me. People in Spain, Italy, or England don’t always do things like we do here in America. Not everyone speaks English, the locals in these countries don’t adjust what they’re doing according to your culture, and they’re perfectly happy with it. It’s okay. Breathe and embrace what the country has to offer. Be open.  
2. A gelato a day keeps the homesickness away. No elaboration needed. 
3. Excursion days are the best days. The only thing better than an excursion to a bucket list place is an excursion to a location off the beaten path where you have to be on the bus at 6:45am. These places are all straight up gems and it’s worth it. Trust me, just go. 



4. Traveling gave me some of my best friends. There’s nothing that expedites the friendship process more than running through airports on the weekends, fangirling about all of the incredible experiences you had that normally include running through the airport, and watching the sunset in a different city that you get to call home.
5. The best things in life don’t always cost money. Honestly, my favorite memory in Valencia was being able to sit on my balcony in my pajamas every Saturday night and watch fireworks going off above the Torres de Serranos. I didn't pay a single Euro and I didn’t even have to leave the study center!
6. People actually are awesome. I can’t tell you enough about how many times I had to interrupt a local’s daily life just to ask for directions or where I should stop to eat because I had no idea what I was doing. I also can’t emphasize enough how patient and helpful the locals were with me, and through those experiences I learned that there is still so much good in the world.
7. To be comfortable with the culture, sometimes you have to be okay with feeling uncomfortable. I thought I was pretty decent at using the Spanish language until I found myself out of my comfort zone in a Spanish hospital having to explain to the doctor that I probably needed stitches in my foot. True story! But once again, breathe.
8. “Adulting”. Studying abroad taught me how to plan a trip, buy my own plane ticket, navigate through unfamiliar airports, feed myself, pack a suitcase, and so many other life skills I could bring back home with me that would benefit me later on in life.
  9. Everything is an adventure. After backpacking through Spain before going to Valencia to study abroad, I thought I had to go out and climb mountains if I wanted an adventure. Boy, was I wrong. It turns out that adventure is also in some of those things we take for granted back at home. Asking for directions, trying new foods, going to the grocery store. It’s all a big deal in another country.
10. The experience goes by way too fast. Whether you go abroad for a year, a semester, or six weeks, it’s always amazing how fast the experience comes and goes. With that being said, do everything you can and take advantage of any opportunity because you don’t want to come home and say, “I wish I did that”. Also, be fully prepared for the tears on your last day.


 
 By: Samantha Arvin


No comments:

Post a Comment

Valencia’s Inner Fire

Fallas:   A   week   filled   with   churros,   fire   and   pure   excitement.  S omething I am going to try my hardest to ex...