Wednesday, September 10, 2014

6 Tips to Prepare Future Study Abroad Students

By: Olivia Bibilonia

The following is a list of things to keep in mind before studying abroad based on my study abroad experience in Paris, France.
 
Pack light
I can not stress this enough. When you get to your study abroad site you will probably have to take the luggage with you from the airport to where you have to be and this can be very uncomfortable with lots of suitcases. Especially in Paris where many metro stops do not have escalators nor elevators.

Check the weather
This sounds like such an obvious thing but checking the weather is important for packing. In my program, many people forgot to bring an umbrella to Paris and it rained for a week. Umbrellas and raincoats are something I recommend for Europe's ever changing weather.

Realize you are no longer in the United States
Culture shock is something that is bond to happen. Europeans are very different from Americans and when studying abroad we should appreciate how other people live instead of focusing on the negatives.

Traveling within Europe is not as cheap as you might think
Before studying abroad I had plans to travel a lot more than I was realistically able to. Traveling within Europe during the summer by train or plane can become very expensive especially since the Euro is worth more than the dollar. Plan and book in advance to save some money.

Get a Bank of America debit card and ask for a traveler's card
When studying abroad in Paris I was able to take out money from a bank affiliated with Bank of America. When doing that I was only charged a 3% conversion fee and did not have to pay to withdraw my money from that bank. This can only be done if you have a Bank of America debit card. Bank of America also has a traveler's card that gives you points for spending abroad which can be beneficial since one is sure to spend abroad but you're getting rewarded to do so.

Have fun and enjoy
Studying abroad for me was an amazing experience that I will never forget. Although I had school 5 times a week and had to wake up very early, I had so much fun every single day. I enjoyed having French breakfast everyday and submersing myself in the French culture.

I hope this list helps you out before setting out on your amazing studying abroad experiences!

GO NOLES!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Valencia’s Inner Fire

Fallas:   A   week   filled   with   churros,   fire   and   pure   excitement.  S omething I am going to try my hardest to ex...