Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Why I Love This City

By Jasmine Crane

The summer that changed my life involved a week-long trip to the one and only City of Lights that included an extensive tour of all that is Paris that left me obsessed and begging for more.  When the week was up, I remember leaving with such a heavy heart, thinking that I might never get to venture back to this side of the world again and be with my city.  But, as life would have it, two years later I finally got another opportunity to visit Paris again!  After some hard work and serious planning, I found myself on a plane headed for Charles de Gaulle airport for my now month-long stay in the summer where I would be soaking up every bit of French culture that was possible.  And you better believe I was ready to take on that city one baguette at a time. 

So, you’re probably wondering, as most people I know do, why I was so unbelievably excited to be in Paris!  I mean, once you’ve seen the Eiffel Tower, eaten some bread, and ridden the metro, you’ve seen it all, right?  Well my friends, that is simply not true.  There is so much more to Paris than just what you see on the postcards.  While the famous monuments and idea of glamour are what draw most people into the city, the rich culture, decadent foods, and simple beauty are usually what make people to want to stay. 


I know this might sound crazy, but I would honestly go back to Paris simply for the food itself.  And I’m not talking about the cuisine that you might find in those tourist cafes on Rue de Rivoli or by La Tour Eiffel.  I’m talking about the unknown gems that lie all around the city, the ones that house the best meals and drinks you’ll only hope to find.  Taking a chance on a cafe, restaurant, brasserie, or boulangerie that you have never heard of while in Paris will be one of the best decisions you make.  You will always be able to find food that is uniquely French in places where the French themselves go to eat!
 

To me, Paris remains so enticing because it is home to some important small parts of its culture. For example, on the way to the Latin Quarter, you might find the old apartment where Ernest Hemingway used to live or the building that Sigmund Freud had once inhabited in the 1800s.  If you find yourself in Montmartre on your way up to see the breathtaking Sacré Cœur, you could wander through the streets behind the church and learn about the famous artists that used to work there, marvel at the beautifully handcrafted buildings, or even visit the Musée de Montmartre and walk through the Jardins Renoir.  And afterwards, if you are lucky, you might find a wonderful fondue place down and around the corner that has a special way of serving you wine!            
                                                
   

Whatever you decide to do while in Paris, I guarantee that you will always be able to find little gems hidden around the city that you can call “mine.”  I still believe the fun part lies in being able to find them all.  Guess you’ll just have to keep visiting this wonderful city until you do! 



 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Valencia’s Inner Fire

Fallas:   A   week   filled   with   churros,   fire   and   pure   excitement.  S omething I am going to try my hardest to ex...