Thursday, September 18, 2014

Student Spotlight: Lauren Stuart

Lauren Discusses the Academic Benefits Associated with Studying Abroad
 
When Lauren decided she wanted to spend her entire freshman year abroad at the age of 18, she never anticipated how much of an impact the experience would have on her future. Living and studying in Panama, Republic of Panama and Valencia, Spain with FSU exposed her to a life of adventure, new friendships, and a different outlook on her field of study. “I always knew I wanted to do something in Meteorology, but never had a specific branch in mind.”
 
While in Panama, Lauren decided to enroll in International Affairs and Environmental Problems and Economic Development. The International Affairs course prompted Lauren to take scientific concepts and look at them from different perspectives. Her final project entailed analyzing climate change using various international perspectives. The Environmental Problems and Economic Development course focused primarily on current environmental problems Panama faced. “The knowledge gained through those classes helped me discover a hidden desire to study the societal impacts of weather and climate in developing countries,” she says.
 
Now, as a junior, Lauren continues to see the benefits of studying abroad. As a Meteorology and Geography major, she recently won a scholarship from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. She credits the selection to her essay about her abroad experience. “I believe my time abroad helped me stand out as an applicant. It helped me grow as a student, global citizen, and future researcher. I contribute the nine months I spent in Panama and three months I spent in Valencia to the numerous opportunities I have received while back in the states.” One of those opportunities includes joining the International Programs Student Recruiter team at FSU. She looks forward to working on academic research and completing a Honors in the Major Thesis while sharing her passion for international travel with fellow students during her remaining years at Florida State.

This photo was taken of Lauren while she was studying in Panama

No comments:

Post a Comment

Valencia’s Inner Fire

Fallas:   A   week   filled   with   churros,   fire   and   pure   excitement.  S omething I am going to try my hardest to ex...