Tuesday, October 28, 2014

London's Top 5 Places to Eat

 By Kristen Kemp

You’re going to hear of lot of people advising you to “eat in” if you want to save money. While I agree that eating in is extremely cost efficient in the world’s most expensive city, I tried to eat out A LOT in London, and I’m so glad I did. 

It’s common knowledge that the English have never been necessarily known for their “world class cuisine.” However, London is very demographically diverse, which is reflected in the cuisines seen throughout the city. It is a common sight to see an authentic Indian restaurant right next-door to a 200 year old pub. Below, I have ranked a few of my absolute favorite places to eat around Central London (trying to hit a variety of palettes) all of which are less than a 20 minute walk from the FSU Study Center. 
 

#5 Scoop 
In the states, to satisfy the American sweet tooth we usually go for the classic pint of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream. In London, locals head to Scoop…not for ice cream, but for gelato. My first trip (out of so many I lost count) to Scoop I got a small cup of Pistachio gelato and I was instantly hooked. After that my standard order became a triple scoop in a large cone, or nothing at all. Some of my favorite flavors were Nocciola (hazelnut), Tiramisu (with fresh Italian Mascarpone cheese), and of course, Pistachio. So make, one, two, three trips to Scoop. They have multiple locations around the city, but I loved the Scoop on 40 Short’s Garden the best. 


#4 The Sherlock Holmes 
No, unfortunately the real Sherlock Holmes never hung out here. However, the pub features a replica of Holme’s and Watson’s sitting room and study. If you’re looking for the perfect place to escape the London rain (what happened to us) and have a delicious, authentic fish and chips, this is your place. The Fish and Chips here are the best,  especially paired with a Kopparberg Cider. The Sherlock Holmes is located very close to the River Thames and Big Ben area. 




#3 Kiku Kiku Sushi 
This goes out to all my fellow sushi lovers. You will notice in London a lot of grab and go sushi joints, like Itsu (which has really good Miso soup), and Wasabi. These places aren’t bad, but if you want freshly made, top grade sushi, head to Kiku Kiku. I went there a few times, and usually got the Prawn Tempura & Avocado Roll and the Sake Avocado Maki (salmon avocado roll). Note, that they do sell sushi by the piece, but prices are reasonable. I loved Kiku also because of its close proximity. Head toward Shaftesbury Avenue and at the big intersection, go down Endell Street, it's 5 minutes down on the left, tucked away. 

#2 Nando’s 
Nando’s has a very big place in my heart, and on my travel debit card. It’s hard to compare Nando’s to anything we have in the states, because it truly is one of the only chains of its kind. Nando’s in three words would be fresh, zesty and saucy. With multiple locations around London, drop into Nando’s for a hot, seasoned to perfection meal. I usually got the wings with fries and peri peri salt. Don’t forget to go crazy with the Nando's sauces, they are all good. If you will be in London for more than 4 weeks I would recommend getting a loyalty card, it also makes a fun scrapbook souvenir. 



#1 VQ 24-Hour Restaurant
Sometimes the BEST places are the ones that are right out your door. In this case, I mean that literally. VQ is located on the same street as the study center, just take a right out the door and you’re there in 45 seconds. VQ became my favorite place to eat very quickly into my program. Their menu offers everything, from 24 hour delicious full english breakfasts to the most amazing Salmon I have ever had. It’s also one of the best places to grab a book or school work and go chill and have a meal. The waiters are very used to students and business professionals coming in and dining/working. The wait staff is extremely nice and inviting, and after about my 4th visit, eventually started noticing how much I liked their food. Right when you get to London, make VQ one of your first stops. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Valencia’s Inner Fire

Fallas:   A   week   filled   with   churros,   fire   and   pure   excitement.  S omething I am going to try my hardest to ex...