Monday, October 27, 2014

London: A Walk in My Shoes


By: Kristen Kemp

Sometimes it's hard to make a big city seem small. Depending on how you "see" London, this could be the case. Or, you find the places and spaces all throughout central London that makes one of the biggest and oldest cities in the world seem so small, intimate, and relaxing. But where do you start? It's simple: just start walking. 

I spent most of my school days off or weekends just going out in the city. Most of the time I would go exploring with a group of friends. But to be honest, some of my favorite days in London were those I spent walking around the city by myself, stopping in at shops or landmarks that interested me, taking my time, and taking it all in. One of my absolute favorite walks was from the FSU Study Center to Buckingham Palace. I had the turn by turn directions down by about my 5th week in London, no map required. Pass Tottenham Court Road, head toward Leicester Square, hang a right on Piccadilly and keep on going straight until you seen the beautiful Green Park on your left. On this walk, I would often stop into to Fortnum & Mason (Harrod's is amazing, but this department store gem is a must see). Fortnum & Mason is known for their world-class tea's and outstanding chocolates, the perfect gifts to bring home to your family. 

While cabs, and the tube and bus system are very time efficient, the BEST way to see this magnificent city is to just go outside and get walking. You will see things you wouldn't be able to see Underground (although I do love the Tube). When exploring, especially if alone, just be smart and avoid what Londoners call "dodgy," or sketchy, areas. When walking, open your eyes a little wider, listen a little harder, and take in the continuous fast pace and culture that is London.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Valencia’s Inner Fire

Fallas:   A   week   filled   with   churros,   fire   and   pure   excitement.  S omething I am going to try my hardest to ex...