Monday, October 12, 2015

Students Reflect on their Amazonian Experience

“My time in Iquitos is one of the most significant periods in my life. I was not only challenged every day in Spanish conversation with my host family and locals (which allowed me to rapidly improve my skills), but also I encountered a variety of learning experiences, interactions, and activities that helped me solidify a new way of looking at the world. After my time in Iquitos, I feel like a citizen of the world and know I am competent enough to travel by myself for the rest of my life. I have to applaud the authenticity of the program. There was nothing fake or Americanized about this program. I stayed with a Peruvian family, worked with locals in a hospital and NGO, and visited several Amazonian communities. All of these opportunities allowed me to embrace the culture in its entirety while learning a great deal about my own. I certainly gained an awareness of many perspectives that cannot be found anywhere else and incorporated them into my own life. I can no longer view reality or humanity’s relationship with nature the same because of everything I learned. The combination of a traditional college class focused on the Amazon and its people followed by time in the basin itself allowed me to appreciate the trip as a whole because I could better grasp the processes behind the many things I saw. The trip was so influential that I am still not completely adjusted to being back in the States, and I wish I could spend more time in Latin America.”    David DeStephano (Summer 2015)

“The journey into Amazonia was breathtaking.  Everywhere I turned, I learned something new: a new perspective, a new language, and by the end of the trip, a new outlook.  My internship was working in a very poor community with the Organization Infant.  Infant’s main goal was to show the importance of the rights of children.  Every day I talked, read, did arts and crafts, and taught gymnastics to the children.  These children taught me more about life than any other experience I have ever had.  I left this trip knowing in my heart that I had made a difference, and that’s truly what matters to me.”   Angela Stein   (Summer 2015)

 
 “Going on this trip was the most rewarding experience of my life. I became more self-assured, confident and decisive. I learned about what I wanted and didn't want in my life; I matured significantly; and I took on responsibilities I previously thought I was incapable of handling. I learned a lot of my own value and developed strong ties with locals. My host family was warm and inviting. They said that I their house was also my as soon as I arrived. I felt embraced by a warm culture from the moment I got there, and personal challenges aside, I would do it all over again.” Stephanie Strickland  (Summer 2015)
“This cultural immersion program was a major stepping stone for my personal growth. I was looking for a program where I could experience something to remember for a life time and something completely extraordinary, and Journey into Amazonia was definitely it. I had the unique experience of living with a wonderful family, working for a program that highly impacted the community, and traveling into the Amazon rainforest with amazing people while studying the culture and language of the Amazon. My internship taught me so much by working hand in hand with communities in need and by giving me an opportunity to offer my help. The excursions were greatly structured and offered the students so much exposure of the genuine culture of the Amazon. Studying the beautiful plants and animals helped me gain a stronger connection to the Earth and gave me a stronger drive to protect it. I was honored to be able to have these experiences. They are ones that cannot be found elsewhere. I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to be a part of this program; this experience was one of a kind and has had a strong positive impact on my view of life.”  (Dora Fish, Summer 2015)
                       
"The Service and Learning Journey to Amazonia was an unforgettable experience. I learned so much about the culture and the indigenous cosmovisions. Camping in the primary forest and learning about the importance of the medicinal plants was extremely fascinating.  Living with a host family was fantastic. They were very kind and accommodating. The food they prepared was always delicious. I was always comfortable and I felt at home. It was also great for constantly improving my Spanish. I'm positive I will return to the amazon to learn more and to visit the life-long friends that I met there.  It's difficult to encompass all of the feelings I have about my time in Iquitos. It was overwhelmingly different but beautiful. I am so thankful for this experience!" Shannon Morris (Summer 2015)
"My time in Amazonia was the most influential experience I could have hoped for. From the first day I arrived in Iquitos till the very last day of the program, I was always enriched by the culture. Amazonia allowed me to open my eyes to real world problems that are occurring not only in Peru, but all around the world. Amazonia also allowed me to open my heart; it taught me how to help others in the most effective way possible. From this program, I truly felt as though I was a part of positive change. Not only did I gain knowledge of people and our environment, I also learned a lot about myself. My time in Amazonia made me more confident and caring. It also allowed me to narrow what I would like to focus on in my academic future.” Malia Byrtus (Summer 2015)

 
    
“I always knew that there was a different way of life out there, but after experiencing it first hand, my views are forever changed. Being in Peru taught me to not take for granted any of the things we have in the US, especially my car; although, the motokars there are most fun transportation ever! Also, the family bonds run so deep in the Amazonian culture that it made me reconsider my family relationships/values and make changes. Even teaching English at UNAP has made me become a better student this semester at FSU. The people of Amazonia have very few possessions, but the love and wisdom they give you makes you feel like the richest person in the world. And even though I am not fluent in Spanish and that was the most difficult aspect of my trip, I would go back to Iquitos in a heartbeat.”  Jennifer Law (Summer 2015)
“My time in Iquitos was nothing short of life-changing. During my month there, through intensive cultural immersion, I was shown a vastly different reality than my own- which resulted in me gaining an entirely new perspective. This program gives you the tools you need to make the most of your experience, to truly immerse yourself in the culture and interact with the locals, who are incredibly warm-hearted and generous people. I made life-long friendships and connections while I was in Peru, and I would go back in an instant.”  Shauna N. Gillooly   (Summer 2015)

Please visit
http://fla.st/20CaZy7 for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Valencia’s Inner Fire

Fallas:   A   week   filled   with   churros,   fire   and   pure   excitement.  S omething I am going to try my hardest to ex...