Friday, August 28, 2015

Retrospective Realizations


As I sit in the airport waiting to head home, I keep thinking about some of the things I learned while I was on my study abroad program, some of which may be helpful to others. One suggestion I have for those traveling is to keep a journal. I have a terrible memory, so I invested in a leather journal my first day in Florence, Italy and recorded all of my adventures. Without this journal, in just a few years I would forget many memories of Italy. With the same idea in mind, I also relied on the app Day One. This app is a photo journal that records the date, location and time a picture was taken, as
well as allowing you type a comment about the picture. Little things like this will help you keep track of all the experiences you have traveling. Another important tip is to make the most of your time abroad. I know that sounds obvious, but after a few days you may think taking a long nap is no big deal or skipping a museum is fine. However, it’s important to remember that your time abroad is going to come to an end, and it usually comes much faster than expected. Don't try to pack everything in at the end of your stay. I advise you to spread it out and plan accordingly. If you're not a museum person, find other activities. I love coffee and found a class that taught you how to create coffee art. I wanted to see a performance, so my friends and I attended a ballet in Fiesole, a beautiful city only 20 minutes outside of Florence. There is always something to do in a foreign city, so don't spend too much time on homework or catching up on sleep. You'll regret not doing more in the end. 
 
Author: Courtney Merolle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Valencia’s Inner Fire

Fallas:   A   week   filled   with   churros,   fire   and   pure   excitement.  S omething I am going to try my hardest to ex...