Saturday, February 28, 2015

Things I Have Learned Studying Abroad

By Danielle Wirsansky

I have now been in Europe for a grand total of two and a half weeks. Not much yet, I know. But every day, and with every adventure, I learn a little more and grow a little wiser. I might grow in small, imperceptible ways, but at least I do. Hopefully I can give you some tips that might help, should you ever decide to go adventuring, so that you can take what you can from me and learn and grow in your own ways.

1. Be Open to New Experiences
Spontaneity can be a good thing! Do something you wouldn't normally do and get out of your comfort zone. Being in a new land, country, or city is the time to do it! Go see a special exhibit or drop by an installment, try a new food or cuisine, see how this new place differs from the old. Make discoveries.
 
2. Don't Over-Indulge
This might seem like a no-brainer, or even cliché, but it's true. Do everything in moderation. It is especially important to be careful when out at night in areas that are foreign to you, whether it is the new city you are studying in or the town you are visiting for a weekend trip. 


3. Try the Local Cuisine
Don't eat out at American chain restaurants like McDonald's and Chipotle all the time—you have them at home! This is your one opportunity to try these local restaurants that aren't available to you on a daily basis. And try new foods! Never had fish and chips? Don't know the difference between spring peas and mushy peas? Now is the time to discover what they are and what you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Valencia’s Inner Fire

Fallas:   A   week   filled   with   churros,   fire   and   pure   excitement.  S omething I am going to try my hardest to ex...