Wednesday, March 28, 2012

London Internship Experience

By Janie Hoffman


An initial ten minute walk past King’s College to the Northern Line, a seventeen minute tube ride, and fifteen minute walk to Barlby Road in Notting Hill was my path every morning to the office of my internship.  Working as an intern abroad through Florida State University’s International Programs gave me immeasurable hands-on experience for my future endeavors.  Not only did I gain corporate and team building experience, but I became more culturally aware and learned about myself and my passions.

I have always heard stories about interns going for coffee runs or miscellaneous personal errands as “experience,” but my internship was nothing like that.  As a student majoring in Communication, my internship was designed specifically towards my interests, and I was placed with a small but mighty company called EMC3, which is the leading integrated London marketing and events company.  Whether a corporate cocktail, birthday party, media conference or the launch of a brand, I learned to develop integrated event programming including travel plans, team building activities, animations, speaker sourcing and celebrity appearances.  From the initial contact with the client, to seeing the event through, I gained valuable skills by being involved with the entire process.       

In front of the London Eye
Because of my internship, I saw many different parts of London that I would have never seen without working alongside locals.  For example, instead of riding the London Eye as a tourist, I took the staff of EA Games on the London Eye as a private party to welcome them to London for their global conference.  I was even taken to completely new places like Dubai! I was fortunate to stay in the Palm Atlantis Hotel for a long weekend to assist my director during all events throughout each day. 


In Dubai at the Palm Atlantis Hotel

The Falcon Group's Event in Dubai - with a Real Falcon!

Looking back over my experience, I cannot believe it is over.  My life for those few months was so wonderful, I sometimes wonder if it was real; as if soon I will wake up and will all be a dream.  Thankfully, I know that is not the case.  I never realized it was possible to do something you loved and get paid for doing it! It seems unfair! I feel so blessed to have had this opportunity.  The skills I have gained over the past six weeks have been so useful to any job or skill.  A new community and friends, a real job, a few challenges and remarkable celebrations.

Here is the link to the company, EMC3’s website:  http://www.emc3.eu/


3 comments:

  1. Very good blog you have here but I was curious if you knew of any forums that cover the same topics talked about in this article?
    I'd really like to be a part of group where I can get comments from other experienced individuals that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Kudos!
    My web page :: last minute hotel kust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! Stay tuned, because we'll definitely be posting more articles like this in the future!

      Delete
  2. It's always beneficial for a student to learn about different cultures and also learn from other people from all walks of life.

    intern abroad

    ReplyDelete

Valencia’s Inner Fire

Fallas:   A   week   filled   with   churros,   fire   and   pure   excitement.  S omething I am going to try my hardest to ex...